Chad's shared items

Friday, September 19, 2008

Brisingr. . .


I was introduced to the Eragon/Eldest series by my brother Joe. Now he is not the Fantasy reader that I am and so I was pretty interested in this series. I am not sure how many of you are fans of this series but the new book, "Brisingr" is coming out tomorrow 09/20/08.

This book will continue where the second book, Eldest, left off with Eragon and Saphira escaping from the battle with their lives and supposedly the book goes into how Eragon has to try and juggle all of the promises that he had made to the different groups in the previous books.

Although I have enjoyed the series so far, I felt that Eldest took a step backwards from how good the first book was.

In the first book, the character had that "come alive" feeling that made it a page turner for me. However, Eldest seemed to get bogged down and I found myself wishing it would just move the story along. I hope that the third edition continues with the writing that first book started and doesn't bog down. This was in essence what ruined The Wheel of Time series for me.

If anyone reads this book and can share their viewpoint, please feel free to leave a comment.

2 comments:

Lisa K said...

I didn't read the book but Eric Snider (hilarious movie critic, blogger, etc) wrote a review of the movie. The part you should read is the comments. People are very passionate about the fact that the story line is a rip off of the Star Wars story. It's pretty funny.

Here's the link: http://www.ericdsnider.com/movies/eragon/

Chad said...

Lisa, the first paragraph of that article puts my feelings for the movie quite succinctly.

"If you took all the dragon-centered movies ever made, and counted the good ones on your fingers, I bet you'd still have enough fingers left over to flip off "Eragon" as you walked laughing from the theater."